18 Aug 2013

Gorseness gracious me!

We are surrounded by gorse which was covered in coconut scented blooms for weeks, but sadly now all gone.  The colour was incredible and emphasised the weird shaped bushes, sculptured by years of nibbling of sheep. I start to see animal forms in their shape, rather like you do in clouds! I’ve taken hundreds of photos, made sketches and had a moment of madness with my pastels, but not yet been able to capture their brilliance. Perhaps next year I will be able to with oils outside. Using photographs for reference in the "studio" I took a new approach with an initial under-painting using ink, after my exercises in pastel. It was fun - but not sure I liked the end result!




2 comments:

PaintingWrite said...

I actually really do like the end result - I like the steps you took to get there - it all looks like you attacked the page with wild abandon!! Did you decide to get rid of the house though? I liked it in step 2 but it's gone in step 3. I really like the effect of the rough grasses that you got.

angela j simpson said...

Thank you ! The iittle house got a bit lost in my over enthusiastic pastel streaks! I've not done any pastels for a bit - been on sheep & oil, so maybe another one due soon....