28 May 2012

Dennis the Menace

Back in January I wrote about pet portraits – this week I have tried a different medium and a new method. I find that a successful portrait relies upon a good initial drawing which I normally do straight on to the final support. This time I drew the dog (that’s Dennis, the 9 month old Border Terrier who is true to his name) on to plain paper and set out my drawing on the canvas using transfer paper. Working on a canvas is new to me, and this is the first commissioned portrait I have completed in acrylics. The finished picture is 30 x 40, lightweight and a little easier to post than a pastel painting. I really enjoyed setting out the composition, the ability to work inside without making a mess (or in this weather, overheating in the greenhouse) and completing a picture of the full bodied Dennis

                  

                                                   

No comments: